Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

10.13.2011

Adventures of Pirate Zoe - Day 3: Patch Success!

So after reading all the awesome information on littlefoureyes.com (a MUST read Web site if you or anyone you know has a child who has or needs glasses, eye patch. I recommend it times a billion! And they have a Facebook page where you can connect even further with the awesome other Moms). Anyway so with the help of the pro-patching Moms, I not only got Zoe to keep her patch on for a full two hours (without excessive force (okay meaning like saying no loudly or lightly tapping her little cute baby hand NOT meaning like EXCESSIVE force :) just to make that clear LOL

I started at 215. I first realized that I think on Monday, I had the patch on the wrong way. I had the skinny piece on the outside and when I put the skinny piece on the inside yesterday, it seemed to work out much better. To my knowledge, they don't come with instructions. It's pretty much exactly like a Band-Aid but in eye shape form and well Zoe's has pretty colors and glitter. Anyway so it turns out it is really sticky but the first one on Monday she had grabbed it and bent part of the sticky part so it stuck to itself and therefore gave her a nice little tab to grab ahold of and rip off her face. BUT this time, it didn't stick to itself only to her face!

The first 10 minutes wasn't as bad as the entire escapade of Monday. I got it stuck and then basically just had to move her hand away from the patch like 10 times probably and just say 'nooo don't touch it baby girl' and then let her type on my laptop (she loves typing on it but I barely let her because she also drools all over my mouse (I guess thats what you call it on a laptop too) and then it stops working and the arrow starts moving weird. And I let her play with my phone and every remote and toys and I gave her snacks and a sippy and toys and more toys. I just kept constantly handing her things. I found at first that the non-toys helped because she was so excited to type or explore the usually off-limits object that she paid less attention to the patch.

Here's a picture from the beginning (warning I took a picture every 10 minutes to pass time and out of pure excitement that it was still on!)




After she got bored with electronics, I kind of just let her do whatever within reason. This is what she chose for a while - pulling out baby wipes. (Note: this being her first real time with the patch on, I allowed free reign of "play" but once she gets used to the patch, I don't plan on offering her electronics, food, TV time, etc. every time she patches).




Then she got bored again so I took her outside to play in the leaves in the front yard. I buried her in the leaves like burying her with sand. It was fun and she laughed. It made me happy that she was so happy even with her patch on.







Then we came inside and it was almost time to take the patch off. I was so excited the two hours were over and we made it!!!!!!! It wasn't easy keeping her occupied at times but one day at a time!

I gave her a pirate themed snack.

Well okay it was goldfish and apple juice but I called it Fish and Pirate Juice.

And then has an added bonus because I thought she deserved some sort of fun or reward or something for keeping the patch on because I was so proud of her. I let her eat her dinner (Gerber ravioli with sauce and peas, carrots and corn) free reign for the first time.



She was beyond excited. It wasn't too hard to clean up. LOL

We haven't had our pirate adventure yet today because we had a busy morning out and then she went down for a nap. So after nap I'll try doing it again for day 4. It's actually day 4 but it's only Patch 3 (Patch 1 being Monday's (day 1) disaster patches 1 and 2 that didn't stay on, I skipped Tuesday (day 2) because I was sad and just frustrated with the situation and idea, Patch 2 being yesterday (day 3) that worked out for 2 hours good and then today is patch 3). Here is a preview of today's patch. LOL

It was my Mom's idea because Zoe is really into mimicking right now so I got it as a back-up or just to make Zoe feel more normal. I don't think she has feelings of embarrassment yet or really knows whats going on but maybe trying to take my patch off will keep her from taking her patch off today!

I have to take Zoe out today for one of the two hours of pirate time because I have a meeting at 5 and I'm going to patch her from 4-6 so maybe I'll wear mine in public too.

Edited to add: Her patch yesterday was green with ladybugs

No comments:

Post a Comment