Here is what I have learned so far. I have now had my consult with diabetes education and nutrition.
The Diabetes Education woman Pam is amazing. I love her. She brought me in a HUGE canvas bag FULL of magazines today. And yesterday we discussed books and our love for reading. She also taught me diabetes stuff like she was supposed to.
Most of the education she does is for people not in the hospital until giving birth. So she went over the basics but I won't be giving myself the insulin, poking my finger to get my blood sugar levels or even making my own meals. But I did get a few pieces of paper she went over that were interesting. And diabetes are the same as gestational diabetes - just one you have temporarily basically while pregnant and one you don't.
The main thing about both are carbs and sugars but mostly carbs. One carb point (as I like to call it) is equal to 15 grams of carbs on the label.
So you look at the Nutrition Label and under 'Total Carbohydrates' there is a number next to it like 27 grams for example.
The chart is as follows:
Total Carb Grams ========= Carb Choices (or Points as I call it)
0-5 ====== free (0 - .4 points)
6-10======= 1/2 (.5)
11-20======1
21-25====== 1 1/2 (1.5)
26-35======2
36-40====== 2 1/2 (2.5)
41-50======3
51-55====== 3 1/2 (3.5)
56-65======4
66-70====== 4 1/2 (4.5)
71-80=====5
81-85===== 5 1/2 (5.5)
86-95===== 6
96-100==== 6 1/2 (6.5)
100-110=== 7
For each meal, and depending on how high your blood sugar is, you get anywhere from 3-5 points a meal.
I was only two points off from passing so I get 3 points for breakfast, 5 points for lunch, 1 point for afternoon snack, 5 points for dinner and 1 point for evening snack.
I basically can eat grilled meats, starches, fruits, veggies and sugar-free desserts but it all depends on the carbs. I obviously don't have the packages in front of me to determine what is what. But could figure it out at home if I had to.
There are no real foods to avoid but obviously if you eat one thing or two things super high in carbs, you will be hungry. I have food restrictions based on the menu but if I were at home I wouldn't obviously.
And obviously SERVING SIZE is a HUGE part in all this. If it says its 15 carbs for 1 slice and you have 3 slices then its no longer 15, its 45. So you've went from 1 point to 3 points.
So that's a HUGE thing. For me its already measured out but if I were home, I would have to pay CLOSE attention to this.
Here are some examples off my pamphlet for general eating with diabetes:
A 6" sub sandwich (in general) is 41-48 total carbs equal to 3 points
A frozen 7" long bean burrito with flour tortilla is 44 carbs or 3 points.
A 4-5 inch bagel is 60-75 carbs or 4 to 5 points. (and thats without toppings or cream cheese)
Raisins, apples, bananas, pears - higher in carbs (2 points each) than berries, cherries, oranges, peaches (1 point each)
Pasta (macaroni, noodles, spaghetti, cooked) 1/3 cup = 1 point or 14 total carbs
So you basically work the numbers so you don't starve.
Unlimited
Some 'free' foods are unsweetened or calorie-free beverages such as hot or iced coffee (black), drink mixes, soft drinks (diet), tea (hot or iced - again black), water
broth or bouillon
sugar free Jell-O
herbs/seasoning/spices
salad greens
Up to Three Servings are Free (spread throughout the day)
Jam or jelly - light - 2 tsp
Ketchup - 1 tbsp
Pickle, dill, 1 medium
sugar free popsicle (1 stick)
1/2 cup raw veggies
1/4 cup salsa
2 tbsp sugar free syrup
2 tbsp of any type of yogurt
Some other facts
DO NOT SKIP ANY MEALS - eat breakfast, lunch, a small snack, dinner, a small snack
include some carbs at each meal
eat meals and snacks at regular times
Nutrition
Good nutrition involves more than carb counting. The list below shows the food groups and suggested number of servings to eat. Choose small or medium sized portions. Be physically active each day too.
CARB
Foods with Carbs
Include these at each meal
Fruits
2-3 servings each day
Choose whole fruit instead of juice when possible.
Grains, beans and starchy vegetables
5-9 servings each day
choose at least 3 whole grain servings a day
Milk and Yogurt
at least 3 servings a day
low for low-fat or non-fat choices
Sweets
keep portions small
count the carbs
LITTLE OR NO CARBS
Foods with little or no carbs
Include a variety of these foods each day
Vegetables
3 or more servings a day
choose a variety of colors and types
Meat, poultry, fish, eggs, cheese and meat substitues
5-6 ounces a day
choose lean meats and low fat cheeses
Fats
4-6 servings a day
choose healthier fats. limit saturated fat. avoid trans fat.
So there ya go.
This pamphlet is published by the International Diabetes Center at Park Nicollet
888-825-6315
internationaldiabetescenter.com
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Way interesting stuff!
ReplyDelete